T U E S D A Y - T O P - T E N
-ranking the ten old STAR TREK movies from best to worst-
1. STAR TREK III : THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK [1984.leonard NIMOY]
never seen this films before and now i get why so many are crazy about them; fast paced and well structured every movie flies by, cinematography, production design, score and sound are usually perfect, however this film knows how to balance entertainment with back story, it is a complex and somehow deep film that is amazingly easy to follow and watch.
2. STAR TREK : THE MOTION PICTURE [1979.robert WISE]
sights and sounds come second to the modern themes of existentialism that rely less in action scenes than the average science fiction picture.
3. STAR TREK II : THE WRATH OK KHAN [1982.nicholas MEYER]
it deals with life and death but not in depth and even when this film is quotable as hell the whole movie needs more cohesion.
4. STAR TREK V : THE FINAL FRONTIER [1989.william SHATNER]
as always it is a fast paced, well structured piece of movie that might have a very anti-climatic ending but the ride does offer some very good ideas.
5. STAR TREK : GENERATIONS [1994.david CARSON]
it is the not needed transition that the franchise wanted; as fun as it is to see KIRK and PICARD play together this feels more like episodic television than anything else.
6. STAR TREK VI : THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY [1991.nicholas MEYER]
it is not the exciting, intriguing last adventure it should be, but at least it is as entertaining as the rest of the saga.
7. STAR TREK IV : THE VOYAGE HOME [1986.leonard NIMOY]
it is certainly weird and even when it shows NIMOY doing his best at subtle comedy this film’s time travel plot line is kind of a joke.
8. STAR TREK : INSURRECTION [1998.jonathan FRAKES]
the ideas are there but the story never works and the directing does not help with its auto-pilot tendencies.
9. STAR TREK : FIRST CONTACT [1996.jonathan FRAKES]
some very good ideas that ultimately does not work; this series have gone from complex to just complicated but fortunately STEWART and WOODWARD still make this work.
10. STAR TREK : NEMESIS [2002.stuart BAIRD]
yes, i was not as patient with this series of movies like before, and yes, i always was a little put off by the obsession they had with what seems like classic architecture but this film does not even has that and its avant-garde [they wish] story and looks are truly troubling.